We have heard from President Obama several times over the past few days as he attempts to quiet the firestorm this incident has ignited. The greatest challenge he is currently facing is the appearance that his administration was caught unprepared by this incident and that they still do not have a strong grasp on the severity of the matter. He certainly was not assisted by the initial misstatement of his Secretary of Homeland Security, Janet Napolitano.
President Obama must regain the public trust in his ability to manage our security at home. In this effort, the Podium Coaches, acknowledge that his latest speech is more effective in covering the basics, but he is still missing an essential element. Trust is derived from a combination of Empathy and Personal Credibility. In demonstrating Personal Credibility, which tells our audience simply, "you can believe in me", he has succeeded by outlining the following:
· He has engaged Attorney General Eric Holder, Secretary of Homeland Security Janet Napolitano and Counter Terrorism and Homeland Security Advisor John Brennan.
· He explained what we currently know to be the facts of the situation and asked all agencies to continue to gather information.
· He explained he will not rest until all involved in this plot are discovered.
· He outlined all actions taken since the incident to secure air travel.
· He has ordered reviews of our Watch List System, Screening Policies, Technologies and Procedures.
· He has asked National Security Teams to keep pressure on our enemies.
His presentation effectively showed Personal Credibility but it lacked the other essential element of trust building, which is Empathy. Where was the feeling, the emotion, the passion? This is more than a passing concern to the American public - this is frightful. During this speech he did not connect with the emotion in his audience and because of this failing, he will need to do more. Do you agree?
Posted By: Andre O'Brien